How to Change Your Zoom Virtual Background
(Please note that this page may contain Amazon affiliate links which help me to keep this site running. By clicking the links I earn a commission at no cost to you.)
In the midst of the Coronavirus pandemic, millions across the world have turned to the Zoom video-calling app to work, study, and hang out from home. Whether you're virtually meeting with friends, family, coworkers, or college professors on Zoom, you may want to hide your cluttered office or messy bedroom in the background.
Zoom offers a nifty Virtual Background feature that does its best to replace your background with a virtual one (of your choosing!) as if you were a weatherman standing in front of a green screen. Zoom's algorithm will attempt to differentiate between you and your background, but it isn't perfect and sometimes malfunctions when there isn't sufficient contrast. Zoom recommends that you use bright, even lighting and avoiding wearing clothes that match the surface behind you.
To take it up a notch and guarantee the quality of your virtual backdrop, you can purchase a green screen like the and higher quality webcam like the . We recommend the Webaround Portable Webcam Background and Logitech C920 Webcam respectively.
Change Your Zoom Background on the Desktop App
1. Click the up arrow next to the Stop Video button in the bottom toolbar > Choose Virtual Background.
2. In the Virtual Background Settings window, click the "+" icon to add a custom background image.
3. Select your image from the file browser.
Your virtual background is now active. You can navigate back to the Virtual Background Settings window to remove your background.
Change Your Zoom Background on the Mobile App
At the moment, Zoom's Android app does not support the Virtual Background feature.
Here's how to do it on iOS:
- After logging in and joining a meeting, click the button with three dots in the bottom right corner of the screen to open the More menu.
- Tap Virtual Background.
- You can choose from one of the default options or upload your own background.
Some Ideas for Background Images
If you're looking for some sample virtual background images, we put together these 10 Free Minimal Zoom backgrounds to keep your next Zoom call clean and professional.